Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Clubhouse Turkey Burgers

For the longest time, I have been looking for a good turkey burger recipe. Since my main strategy for eating healthier is to make healthy versions of foods we love, finding a turkey burger recipe was imperative to satisfy my bacon cheeseburger loving husband. For the most part, all the other ones I've tried I though were ok, but Joe hated them. Joe is a much more picky eater than I am.

Last week, I finally found a turkey burger recipe that Joe not only loved, but asked for seconds of. I also loved it, but I'm easier to please :) It is a clubhouse turkey burger thought up by Kristin from Iowa Girl Eats. I love her blog, not only because she has some great recipes, but also because she is a Midwesterner like me and for awhile lived in Minnesota. See, easy to please.

While the recipe does have some not so healthy things in it like cheese, I figured it was still better than a traditional cheeseburger. Baby steps. Maybe next time I'll try it with Turkey Bacon on top.

The recipe also calls for BBQ sauce. Being from Kansas City, the mecca of BBQ in the U.S. (yep, I said it) we have a wide variety of great BBQ sauces to choose from. My favorite store bought sauce is Gates BBQ sauce, which you may be able to get in other parts of the country. If you can find it at your grocery store, I would highly recommend it.


However, if you come to Kansas City for some BBQ, go to Oklahoma Joe's. It's the best in my opinion, and Anthony Bourdain agrees with me. He even put it on his list of 13 places IN THE WORLD to eat before you die. That's a pretty big recommendation.

Now that that tangent is over...

Clubhouse Turkey Burgers
Slightly adapted from Iowa Girl Eats

1 lb. ground turkey
1 cup shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/4 cup BBQ sauce
salt and pepper
Buns and toppings: good with more BBQ sauce, or red onions, tomatoes, and lettuce

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl.


Form into 4 patties. Brush each side of the burger with olive oil or nonstick spray, and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side. I used my trusty (and old) George Foreman Grill, but a skillet would also work if you don't have access to an outdoor grill.


Once cooked through, place on buns, and top with your preferred toppings.


For the bun, I used the Pepperidge Farm 100 calorie Deli Flats, but English Muffins are also a healthy alternative to traditional buns.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...