Monday, May 13, 2013

Anniversary Weekend

As you may have guessed (from Friday's and yesterday's post) this weekend was my and Joe's one year anniversary. It is weird to think that it has already been a year since we got married. It's even weirder to think that we are no longer newlyweds. Just an old married couple now :)

To celebrate, we spent the weekend at Joe's parent's place at the Lake of the Ozarks. While I know that doesn't sound all that romantic, the Lake of the Ozarks is very nice and a lot of fun, and it was nice to have a weekend away, just the two of us.

Lake of the Ozarks

Considering that the Lake of the Ozarks is somewhat of a resort region during the summer, with people from Kansas City and St. Louis flocking there during the weekends, a lot of places aren't open until after Memorial  Day. That would include the nearby pool, and, sadly, our favorite restaurant down there, the Blue Heron. The Blue Heron is known for their Fried Lobster (delicious) and has some of the best Lobster Bisque I've ever had. Since we couldn't go there, Saturday night we went to another incredible restaurant down the street, Bentley's.


I wore my rehearsal dinner dress that night, but there was one problem. It was also prom night. So basically, there were other girls wearing sparkly dresses at Bentley's, and they were all in high school. I all of a sudden felt self conscious that others would think that I too was going to prom. But, we ordered a bottle of wine, and I got over it.

For dinner, I ordered the Lobster and Filet. Because why not.


Most of their dessert items included alcohol. Joe ordered a sundae topped with Baileys, and I ordered this milkshake made out of dark chocolate and Amaretto, called the "Brown Betsy". I now prefer my milkshakes spiked.


The next morning, we made our way back to Kansas City. Since it was also Mother's Day, we celebrated with the family Joe's mom and the other mothers, his sisters Stacy, Angie, and sister in law Rebecca at Garozzo's. In my opinion, Garozzo's is the best restaurant in Kansas City. Since I had been eating so decadently all weekend, I decided to forgo having my favorite dish at Garozzo's, the Tortellini Gina, as my main meal and just had a smaller portion of it as a side. Talk about self control :)

That night, we broke out our wedding toasting flutes...


and the top of our wedding cake that we managed to save. For anyone who doesn't know, it is tradition to save the top of your wedding cake, freeze it, and then eat it on your one year anniversary. I will admit, the cake was actually still very good, but I did have a hard time getting over the fact that I was eating one year old cake. In any event, the cake was small and we did manage to finish it.


The perfect end to a perfect weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...