Wednesday, January 15, 2014

The Butcher and the Boar

Back in December when we were in Minneapolis for Christmas, my husband and I had a double date with my sister and her husband at a restaurant that I've been wanting to try for a very long time, The Butcher and the Boar. The Butcher and the Boar is a semi-new restaurant in downtown Minneapolis that specializes in meat, and, being that I am a total carnivore (I almost said "meat lover" and realized that that could sound like a euphemism for something...) and had only heard wonderful things about it, I was so excited to go. 

I was not disappointed. It is the best meal I've had in a long time. If you live in Minneapolis, drop what you are doing right now and go over there (or, you know, make a reservation, because they tend to be booked weeks in advance). 

We arrived at the restaurant somewhat early, so we sat in the patio section and ordered a drink. The patio was tented due to the fact that, well, it's winter in Minneapolis, but it seemed like it would be a great place to hang out once the weather got warmer. Minneapolites love themselves a good patio, since the winters are so brutal and the summers are so amazing. They want to take advantage of that amazing weather while they have it. The restaurant is actually right next to my old law school, and I'm kind of resenting the fact that it opened after I graduated. I think I would have been on that patio many a bar review (what we called our law school happy hour outings. We were so clever). 


I ordered a Juicy Basil. Delicious. 


The atmosphere inside the dining room was sophisticated but comfortable, kind of how I would describe Minneapolis (can you tell yet that I love Minneapolis?). 




My sister mentioned that we had to get the sausage sampler, which is a sampling of their beef, pork, and boar sausages that are made at the restaurant. I had also heard good things about their stuffed jalapenos, which are topped with peanut butter (how could we not try that) so we ordered both. It was all amazing. That's really the only word I can think of to describe it. Amazing. 


For our main course, I was thisclose to ordering the lobster grilled cheese. I mean, it's lobster, and cheese, and carbs, and the option of an organic fried egg. How could you go wrong? My sister talked me out of it, saying since I'm there I had to order the meat, and I'm glad I listened to her. I ordered the Grilled Colorado Lamb, and it was to die for. The best lamb I've ever had. Honestly, one of the best meals I've ever had. You were served 3 different cuts of lamb: a lamb chop, lamb leg, and lamb sausage. They were all incredible. Going off what I said earlier, drop what you are doing right now, go to the Butcher and the Boar, and order the Lamb. You really should do it right now, because I believe that dish is seasonal and won't be there forever. 


My husband ordered the Smoked Beef Long Rib, my sister the Duck Breast, and my brother in law the Double Cut Berkshire Pork Chop. We all agreed to let each other sample what we had, even though I was tempted to hoard my lamb to myself. Everyone else's meals were also absolutely delicious. 

We ended the night full, happy and a little tipsy.  I will definitely be visiting this place again. 

 photo sig_zps530dcc3a.png

1 comment:

  1. Ive been to the patio but have yet to eat there... now I know where I will be taking my brother for his upcoming birthday :)
    www.olivedoesthecity.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...