Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Cathy's Steak Soup

I know I've mentioned before that I love the cold. I do, I really do (as long as it isn't a windy cold). I love the cold air going through my lungs, and I kind of feel like the freezing temperatures are good for anti-aging because they freeze your face. Like nature's botox. But I have to admit, after we got a Spring preview this past Sunday when it was 60 degrees, it was tough to go back to polar vortex/arctic blast/whatever they are calling it now temperatures. Starting Monday morning I kind of felt like I was in a mamas and the papas song. "Monday, Monday, can't trust that day". "Monday morning you gave me no warning, on what was to be". Monday morning, why did you leave, after going down 60 degrees!

With that, I thought I'd share another warm soup recipe. My mother in law, Cathy, makes the best steak soup. My husband loves it, and I've been meaning to get the recipe from her for awhile. I didn't realize how time consuming the process is until she told me her recipe, but really, it is worth it. It is a really hearty soup that is delicious and will almost make you ready to bear the cold. 

Just warning you, she usually makes a whole lot of this soup, so the recipe I will be sharing could serve probably 10 people or more. It makes great leftovers, so you might want to make the entire recipe, or you should plan ahead and cut down on the ingredient sizes.

Cathy's Steak Soup

2 1/2 lbs ground beef
2 large cartons beef broth (with some extra on hand)
2 large cartons chicken broth (with some extra on hand)
1 can of tomato sauce
1 whole onion, chopped
1 bunch of celery
1 package baby carrots
3 large potatoes, cut into cubes
1 package egg noodles (Cathy recommends Reames frozen egg noodles)
1 can of corn and 1 can of green beans, or 1 package of the mixed frozen vegetables
salt and pepper to taste
Optional: 1 stick of butter

Brown the beef, and then drain. Add the beef to one very large pot, and add the beef broth, chicken broth, and tomato sauce. Add the onion and celery and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to simmer and cook until tender, about 30 minutes. Add the carrots, and cook for another 30 minutes. Add potatoes and some salt and simmer for another 30 minutes.

Add the egg noodles, at which time you should have your extra broth on hand if the soup is looking too thick. Let cook for 45 minutes on medium heat. Add the green beans and carrots or the bag of mixed frozen vegetables. At this point, you can also add 1 stick of butter for flavor. Add salt and pepper to taste. 


Enjoy!

 photo sig_zps530dcc3a.png

1 comment:

  1. Yum, looks totally worth the time :)
    www.olivedoesthecity.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...