Monday, September 16, 2013

Healthy Loaded Sweet Potato Fries

Like I've mentioned before, my husband is a very picky eater. Like very, very picky. I finally got him to start eating vegetables in the last few years, and his mother was amazed. I have found with him that alot of these food aversions are in his head. For example, when I first started cooking for him, he told me he hated broccoli and wouldn't eat it. In an effort to get my hubby eating more healthy (I want him around for a long time) I would cook broccoli and just sprinkle some cheese on top and ask him very nicely (or maybe forcefully) to eat it. Once he actually tried it he realized he liked it, and now eats it cheese free. That has been the drill for a number of different kinds of vegetables that he now eats.

One of those that I haven't been able to get him hooked on, however, is mushrooms. I am a big fan, and really love mushroom soups. However, the last time I made a mushroom soup, Joe finished all the creamy broth, and left all the mushrooms in the bowl. 

I recently found a way to get him to eat it. Kristin from Iowa Girl Eats found a clever way to hide mushrooms into ground beef. Basically, you put the mushrooms through a food processor, combine them with the beef, and cook them all together. My husband even made a comment on how much he liked the beef, and had no idea it was half mushrooms (well, until now anyways).

Healthy Loaded Sweet Potato Fries

1 lb. bag of sweet potato fries
1/2 lb. ground beef (I use 93% lean)
8 oz. mushrooms
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cup shredded cheese
toppings

Bake fries according to package directions.


Put the mushrooms through a food processor and process until they are a ground beef texture.


Cook with the ground beef over medium high heat until no longer pink, and then add salt and pepper and the taco seasoning.


Place the beef on top of the baked potatoes, and then top with cheese. Broil until the cheese has melted.


Top with your desired toppings (guacamole on top is amazing). It might not be pretty, but it tastes awesome.


Enjoy!
 photo sig_zps530dcc3a.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...