Wednesday, June 5, 2013

One Pot Tomato Basil Pasta

I have to admit, my least favorite part about cooking is what comes after enjoying your work. The dishes. Gross.

I'll admit, after a long day, I do enjoy cooking a nice meal for me and Joe. It is kind of soothing actually. But then I'm done, I want to relax for the rest of the evening (if I don't have any more work to do). But there are those dishes in the sink that are calling for me to clean them. No matter how clean my kitchen may be, it feel incredibly dirty if there are dishes in the sink. And it's not like I can ignore them for a few days and pretend like they are not there (like... cough... the laundry that is hidden away from sight in the laundry room... cough) because they are right there in the middle of the kitchen. Out in the open. Where people who might stop by out of the blue could see them. 

The worst are those complicated meals that you've spent hours on. Just when you've finished your labor of love, and are feeling pretty good about yourself, you look in your sink and the pride turns into a feeling of woefulness. I just spent hours cooking and now I have to clean ALL of those! 

Those are the times I wish I had Rosie, the maid from the Jetsons, to come out and clean them off and put them in the dishwasher for me. Weren't we supposed to be that advanced by now? Goodness Gracious!

Luckily, I found this recipe for one pot tomato basil pasta. This meal all takes place in one pot. You even boil the pasta with the rest of the ingredients. No separate pot to boil it in required! The entirety of dishes that you use in this recipe are one pot, one knife, and one cutting board. I can handle that. 

One Pot Tomato Basil Pasta
From Apron Strings
12 oz. whole wheat linguine pasta
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 large sweet onion
4 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
2 tsp. dried oregano leaves
2 large sprigs basil
4 1/2 cups vegetable broth 
2 Tbs. extra virgin olive oil
Parmesan cheese

Slice the garlic, cut the onion in julienne strips, and chop the basil.

Place the pasta, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and basil in a large pot, and cover with the vegetable broth. Sprinkle the olive oil, pepper flakes and oregano on top, and bring to a boil. 


Cover and reduce to simmer. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. By this time, most of the liquid should be evaporated, but if not you can drain some of the liquid out at this time. 


Stir pasta, and top with the Parmesan cheese. 


Enjoy!

 photo sig_zps530dcc3a.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...