Monday, June 24, 2013

Cream Scones

Have you ever heard of the phrase "when your husband buys you heavy cream, make scones"? No? That's because I just made it up, but that's exactly what I did the other day.

I needed a little bit of heavy cream for a recipe I was making, and realized after I started cooking that I had forgotten to pick cream up at the grocery store. I called and asked my husband, who was just leaving the office, if he could buy some on his way home. Even though I only needed a 1/4 cup of cream (which I probably should have told him) he came home with one of the big cartons. 

Since I didn't want to waste all of my newly acquired cream, I tried to find a  recipe where I could use it. I discovered a cream scone recipe I had pinned months ago from the Martha Stewart website, so decided to try and make them that Sunday morning before church. I'm glad I did. Or maybe not so glad, because I ate too many of them. They are seriously delicious, and a nice start to the morning, along with some coffee. 


I'm also happy that I had a chance to use the heart shaped biscuit cutters my mom gave me. 


Cream Scones
From Martha Stewart Living
1 cup cake flour
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar, plus a little more for sprinkling
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
2/3 tsp. salt
1 1/2 sticks cold unsalted butter
1 1/4 cups cold heavy cream, plus a little more for brushing
1/4 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Sift together the dry ingredients.


Cut the butter into the mix with a pastry cutter or 2 forks. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.

Combine the cream and vanilla, and then stir into the flour mixture until the dough just starts to form. Roll dough out onto a floured surface into a rectangle. Fold over, rotate, and fold over again. Do this 2 more times. Pat dough down until it is 1 1/4 inch in thickness, and cut with a biscuit cutter (preferably one that is heart shaped... :)). Gather scraps, refold, and continue to cut into rounds.


Place 2 inches apart on baking sheets that are either lined with parchment paper or that are greased. Brush the extra cream on top, and then sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes, turning once halfway through. Let cool.


Enjoy!

 photo sig_zps530dcc3a.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...