Saturday, January 12, 2013

Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts

As I get older, I'm noticing a pattern. There are things I never thought I would like when I was younger that I now like. One of those things is talk radio/books on tape. When my parents would listen to that in the car, I admit I would complain. I thought it was sooooo boring. Radio is for music! Now, however, I prefer to listen to talk radio in the car (unless Katy Perry is on somewhere... Katy Perry always wins). I hate to admit my parents were right...

Another one of those things is eating healthy. When I was younger, my mom had a rule that if we got fast food, we had to choose between getting a small sandwich (like a plain burger at McDonald's) and fries, or a big sandwich (like a Big Mac) with no fries. To me this was the cruelest rule ever. How dare she make us choose! All my friends could have big sandwiches and fries! This is America! Now I couldn't even imagine eating a Big Mac and fries, and vegetables have become something I eat daily, even crave.

My new vegetable obsession, that I only started eating recently, is brussels sprouts. I had a bad experience with brussels sprouts about 2 years ago when I bought a pack of them from trader joes. It was the kind were you just put the whole package in the microwave and it is supposed to steam them. It was gross. I never thought I would like them.

That is, until recently. I started seeing alot of brussels sprouts recipes on pinterest, and thought I would give them another chance. I found that, if cooked the correct way, brussels sprouts are actually delicious. They have become one of my favorite things to eat! I wanted to share one of my favorite brussels sprouts recipes that is good for brussels sprout newbies. It is very yummy, and don't taste like health food. Joe even ate them, and he is the pickiest eater ever and wouldn't eat vegetables until I forced him to when we started dating.

Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Toasted Pine Nuts
From Closet Cooking

2 lbs. brussels sprouds (trimmed)
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinaigrette
1/4 cup sliced pine nuts
1/4 cup parmigiano reggiano
salt and pepper to taste

Toast the pine nuts on a skillet over medium heat. Stir frequently for about 3 minutes.


Toss the brussels sprouts in a large bowl with the olive oil and salt and pepper. 


Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Put the brussels sprouts on a baking sheet and roast for about 30 minutes.


Toss the roasted brussels sprouts with the balsamic and pine nuts. Add the parmigiano reggiano.


I know it doesn't photograph the greatest, but believe me. It's delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...