Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Mom's Healthy Pasta with Asparagus and Tomatoes

So this week, like every week since my wedding, I've made it a goal to eat like I did before the wedding. Very healthy. And, with the exception of dinner last night (I told myself I could order that burger if I only ate half... and then ate the entire thing... and fries... and part of a pretzel... and a chicken wing... only one though because I have self control), I've been doing pretty well.

Tonight for dinner, I decided to make this really healthy pasta that my mom used to make for me. I say for me, because I would request it all the time. When I was in law school, my mom came over and taught me how to make it for myself. For awhile, it was probably the most complex meal I would make, and it is really not complex at all. It is actually very easy, and quick to make! All it is is bow tie pasta, roma tomatoes, asparagus, and parmesan cheese. If you want to add some protein, just throw in some chicken, like I did tonight. Either way, it tastes great.

This pasta started my love for bow tie pasta and roma tomatoes. If I were at my parents house and it were summer, I would be able to pick the roma tomatoes my dad grows every year out of his garden. Since it is actually the winter and I'm about 6 hours from my parent's house, I guess I will have to settle for the grocery store tomatoes... sigh.

This recipe makes quite a bit of pasta. I make this much because I like to bring it with me to lunch for a couple of days. You will too. Believe me.

Mom's Healthy Pasta

3-4 Tbs. olive oil
A package of whole wheat bow tie pasta
4-5 roma tomatoes
1 bunch of asparagus
2 chicken breasts
fresh basil, chopped
shaved parmesan cheese

First, cut the chicken into bit size pieces, the asparagus into 1-1 1/2 inch pieces, the roma tomatoes into fourths, and chop the basil.


Boil some water and cook the pasta according to the directions on the package. Boil another pot of water, and add the asparagus. Boil the asparagus for about 5 minutes.

Heat a skillet on medium high heat, heat up the olive oil, and then add the chicken. Once the chicken is about cooked, add the roma tomatoes. When the roma tomatoes are tender, add the cooked asparagus, which should be done boiling by now.


After about a minute, combine the skillet mixture with the pasta, which should be done and removed from heat. Add the chopped basil and as much parmesan cheese as you like (I add alot).


Mix it all together and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...