Monday, September 30, 2013

Healthy Minestrone

Well it is that time of year again. Hot soup season. When a hot cup of stew or soup is really the best thing to warm you up on a cold day.When finding out the water cooler in your office makes very hot water is a dream come true, because now you can make your cup o' soup at lunch. Happened today. Very exciting. 

Last Thursday I was going out to dinner with a couple of friends. I got off work at 5, and we were going to meet at 7. I realized on my way home that that gave me just enough time to make my husband some minestrone before I left, which I did, instead of leaving him to a night of frozen pizza. I think that officially makes me a really good wife. 

This soup is not only warms you from the inside out on those cold fall days, but, being mainly vegetables, it will also keep you from packing on the winter pounds. Or at least delay it for awhile. 

Healthy Minestrone
Adapted from Skinnytaste

1/2 chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrots
2 minced garlic cloves
1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 15 oz.can white beans (rinsed and drained)
3 cups fat free chicken broth
1 oz. Parmesan cheese
1 rosemary sprig
2 bay leaves
1 Tbs. dried basil
1 medium chopped zucchini
2 cups cooked small pasta
salt and pepper

Place the beans in a blender and puree with 1 cup of the broth.


Combine the beans, the rest of the broth, tomatoes, carrots, onion, garlic, herbs, parmesan, and salt and pepper into a large pot. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for 45 minutes.


During this time, cook the pasta according to the package directions. 15 minutes before the soup is done, add the zucchini.


 5-10 minutes before the soup is done, add the cooked pasta. Remove the bay leave and rosemary sprig. 



Enjoy!

 photo sig_zps530dcc3a.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...