Monday, September 23, 2013

Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore

So I'll admit it. I'm a Real Housewives fanatic. Which leads me to my next confession. Sometimes I crave foods I see those housewives make on their shows. For example, I've been meaning to make mushroom risotto ever since the Real Housewives of Miami episode where Joanna made it for Romain after she found incriminating emails from him emailing another woman. She made the risotto to try and show her appreciation for Romain (and then to confront him) and it just looked so yummy. 

Another dish I've been meaning to make is Chicken Cacciatore. It wasn't from any episode, but Theresa Guidice from Real Housewives of New Jersey posted a picture on twitter (yes I follow her on twitter. Don't judge) of some Chicken Cacciatore she had made. It looked so good, and I realized I had never had it. I had been meaning to make it ever since.

I found this Chicken Cacciatore recipe on Skinnytaste and thought it would be a good first attempt. I did, however, switch out the skinless, bone-in chicken for skinless, boneless chicken. It is mostly because I have an aversion to meat that is still on the bone (I don't like to be reminded that the meat I am eating was at one point an animal), but also partly because I thought it would just be easier to eat. You can certainly switch it back. Tasty and filling, this recipe is a great weeknight meal.

Crock Pot Chicken Cacciatore
Slightly adapted from Skinnytaste
3 boneless chicken breasts (or 8 chicken thighs with the bone, skin removed)
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1/2 red bell pepper 
1/2 green bell pepper
1/2 large onion
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper

Slice the red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and onion into strips. Spray a skillet with cooking spray, and brown the chicken over medium high heat. 


While cooking, season with salt and pepper. Once browned add the chicken to the crock pot.


In the same skillet, spray once more with cooking pray, and add the vegetables for a few minutes. Add to the slow cooker. 


Pour the tomatoes over the contents of the slow cooker, and then add the oregano, bay leaf, some more salt and pepper, and, after giving it a quick stir, cover. Cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high. 


Once cooking is done, remove the chicken and shred into large pieces. Add the chicken back into the crock pot and remove the bay leaf. Serve over linguine. 


If your time is more limited in the morning, you can forgo cooking the chicken and vegetables before putting them in the crock pot. Just throw everything in there. However, I would recommend taking the longer route. 
Enjoy!

 photo sig_zps530dcc3a.png

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...